Feeding and Nutrition
What kind of diet is best for my ferret?
Ferrets are very different than other domestic animals when it comes to dietary needs. They require a much higher protein diet than a cat, for example. That is why it's extremely important to feed ferrets food that is specifically formulated for them. Marshall Premium Ferret Diet is the optimal ferret food – high in fresh meat proteins and omega 3s, plus it's one of the easiest diets for ferrets to digest.
Why is Marshall Premium Ferret Diet the best for ferrets?
Marshall Premium Ferret Diet was developed by a team of veterinarians, nutritionists, and experts at Marshall Farms who have been raising ferrets for over 70 years. Results of their definitive testing show that Marshall Premium has proven again and again to be the best food available for ferrets. Marshall Premium Ferret Diet is available in 26 oz. cartons, 4 lb. bags, 7 lb. bags, 18 lb. and 35 lb. feeder bags. Our Senior Formula is made specifically for older (4+ years) less active and overweight ferrets. Senior Formula contains 10% less fat and protein than our regular formula to meet the nutritional needs of less active or senior ferrets. See the “Products” section for more details on Marshall Premium Diet, Bandit treats and more.
• It is a proven diet. GENERATIONS (thousands) of Marshall Ferrets have been raised on this food. No other diet can make this claim.
• Contains high levels of FRESH, meat-based protein (38%) for a ferrets active metabolism. It is balanced with a perfect level of natural fat (18%).
• Unique low temperature, vacuum drying process protects essential amino acids and protein. Most other foods are damaged with high temperature processing thereby making supplementation necessary.
• Marshall Premium contains natural meat flavors, with no added colors or flavoring.
• Marshall Premium has no added fat on the pellet surface for consistent nutritional value throughout every food pellet.
• Marshall Premium is nutritionally complete for all life stages, from kits to adults.
• Fresh meat, low heat and slow processing allow all of the protein, carbohydrate and fat to present itself in a usable form for the ferret to digest easily and receive maximum nutritional value.
How often should I feed my ferret?
Ferrets are considered free-feeding animals, which simply means that they should always have fresh food and water available to them. This is due to the fact that ferrets have an extremely fast metabolism and digest their food every two hours. It also means that they use the litter pan more frequently than other pets, so fresh litter is a must.
Why are cat foods not recommended?
A ferret’s digestive tract is much shorter than a cat’s, which results in rapid food passage. A cat’s digestion is approximately 5 hours, where a ferret’s is closer to 2 hours. Because of this, many cat foods don’t have ample time to break down in a ferrets system and valuable nutrients are lost.
Ferrets require high amounts of meat protein and fat. Many ferret and cat diets use meals and grains to substitute for meat-based protein. Ferrets that are fed the Marshall food will normally eat less and receive more nutritional value than other cat and ferret diets.
We don’t feed dog food to cats or rabbit food to dogs, so why feed a cat food to a ferret?
What kind of treats can I give my ferret?
We recommend treats that have little or no sugar and are protein-based. Safe and natural
treats, such as Bandits treats are a great option and they come in different flavors to
appeal to a wide range of tastes.
Bandits Ferret Treats
Ferret nutrition is the most important decision you’ll make for your ferret. As breeders of the best quality ferrets for over 60 years, Marshall knows a ferrets physiological and nutritional needs better than anyone else. Our ultimate goal is to provide the healthiest ferret nutrition available.
Ferrets flip over the intense flavor of our Marshall Bandits Premium Ferret Treats. Available in Original Chicken, Meaty Bacon, Raisin and Peanut Butter Flavors. Bandits are soft and chewy morsels that provide an exciting flavor while still upholding a healthy nutritional value for your pet. Bandits are protein based, making them a healthy choice for you to feed your pet. Used by the world’s largest ferret breeder, Bandits will keep your pet coming back for more.
Crude Protein (minimum) = 25%
Crude Fat (minimum) = 9%
Crude Fiber (maximum) = 2%
Moisture (maximum) = 28%
Do ferrets need supplements?
The short answer is yes. If you’re feeding your ferrets a protein-rich diet such as Marshall Premium Ferret Diet, they are getting a majority of the nutrients they need, but it’s always good to use a daily supplement for optimal health and well being. Supplements help maintain a shiny coat and prevent dry skin as well as boosting immunity. High calorie supplements, such as Furo Vite are particularly helpful when a ferret is recovering from illness and needs to gain weight.
Does my baby ferret need special food?
Ferrets of all ages need to have Marshall Premium Ferret Diet and fresh water available at all times. It is important to sufficiently moisten the diet for young ferrets (6-11 weeks of age).
• Mix three parts warm fresh water to one part Marshall Premium Ferret Diet (3:1 ratio).
• Allow the mixture to sit 3 -5 minutes.
• Add more Marshall Premium Ferret Diet or water until it reaches a wet oatmeal consistency.
Keep some dry Marshall Premium Ferret Diet available at this age, so your ferret will adjust to a completely dry diet by the time it is 12 – 13 weeks of age. Slowly, convert to dry food only. Marshall Premium Ferret Diet is the food that Marshall Ferrets are raised on and it highly recommended for maintaining good health.